We are living in a very chaotic and confusing time, but that doesn’t mean we can’t make the best of it. The COVID-19 Pandemic has left people all over the world out of work and confined to their houses where they had little to no time to prepare. While there is not much we can do outside of our homes for the time being, it’s important that we focus on some self care while we are inside to keep our bodies and minds comfortable, limber and well. Here are a few ways you can help set yourself up for success for the remainder of the quarantine period.
- Set Up Your Virtual Workspace with Your Posture in Mind
- While many always loved working from home because of the perks, this extended virtual office may put a damper on your productivity and your posture. Laying on the couch to spend hours working (or watching TV) not only is bad for your mental focus, but terrible for your posture. Set up a temporary, dedicated area where you can set up your devices at eye level where you’re not straining to see the screen or looking down for extended periods of time. This guide on how to sit at your computer is a great place to start.
- When Seated, Sit With Your Legs at a 90 Degree Angle.
- When confined to your house, it’s definitely hard to keep yourself standing and moving throughout the day. Since many of us will be sitting more than usual, keeping your legs properly elevated, uncrossed and at the right height is important in helping prevent back pain. Keep your feet flat on the floor and sit up straight!
- Stretch, stretch, stretch!
- This is one of the most important things you can do. Keep your low back and neck pain and stiffness free by stretching! Try a posterior pelvic tilt, walking around the house a few times each hour, stretching by pulling your knees to your chest and just keep moving! Give lunges, static hamstring stretches and leg raises a try! This article by healthline is a great place to start. Not only will stretching help you feel refreshed, it will help make you feel less tired and improve your posture!
- Get Up!
- Don’t sit for too long on soft couches or chairs. Get up and move your body! It’s important to make sure you get up and walk around throughout the day. Your eyes need a break from screen time and your body needs a break from sitting. It’s recommended you get up for 15 minutes out of each hour.
- Work On Your Breathing
- Staying cooped up in your house not only is a little tough on your body physically, but also does impact your mental health quite a bit. Try to keep your anxiety levels low and stay calm by doing some simple breathing exercises throughout the day. Take 10 deep breaths in and out throughout the day, especially if you’re starting to feel flustered. This will help keep you calm, feeling good and ready to take on the day!
- Stay Fit!
- We know how tough it is to get in a great workout while all gyms are temporarily closed. Make sure you practice your balance to help keep yourself strong and even try some at-home exercises to keep yourself feeling your best! Here are a few great glute and leg exercises to try and also some arm workouts from Advanced Fitness and Wellness to get you sculpting without the need for equipment.
Remember, this quarantine is temporary! We all have a lot of time on our hands, so it’s important that we use it to our advantage, even if the situation is less than ideal. Practice some of these self care tips throughout the week and you’ll be sure to feel your best! If you are experiencing any low back, neck pain or stress, our office is still open for Chiropractic and Acupuncture appointments on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9AM-4PM. Give us a call at 973-616-4555 to schedule your appointment for the week!