Your spine plays such an important role in your body’s health. It literally is the backbone of your ability to sleep, function and move correctly. On World Spine Day, we’re here to explain why you must love your spine and take care of it, not just today, but every single day!
Nearly every movement your body makes begins from your spine. For everyone, it’s important to take care of your lower spine (lumbar) and upper spine (cervical) to keep you feeling your best! If your spine is compromised in any way, it can make simple tasks nearly impossible. Just think about a few, everyday tasks: sitting up, bending over, walking, looking around and moving your neck, just to name a few. An unhealthy spine would limit your mobility and could potentially impact your quality of life!
So what exactly does your spine do? Well, it has three very important jobs!
- Allows your body to move flexibly
- Protects your spinal cord and other important nerves
- Provides support and structure for your body, creating your posture
Did you know your spine sends important messages to other parts of your body?
Our nervous system uses the spine to help send messages to other parts of your body, including sensory information. This sensory information includes touch, pressure, cold, warmth, pain and so much more! If your spinal cord is damaged, it could essentially disable other parts of your body, since it no longer would be receiving neural responses.
Tips For Keeping Your Spine Healthy
- Practice great posture
- Stand up straight and hold your core tight!
- Practice Proper Lifting
- Never lift with your back! Lift with the strength of your knees and hips to take the pressure off your back.
- Get regular chiropractic adjustments!
- Chiropractic adjustments can help realign the spine to relieve subluxations and improve the functioning of the central nervous system.
- Check your exercise routine
- Regular exercise, and walking, will help keep your core tight and your spine strong!
- Get a massage
- This goes without saying. This will help increase blood circulation AND help you relax!
- Make sure you are getting enough rest!
- Not only is the amount of sleep important, but so is what you sleep on! Make sure you have a supportive mattress and pillow to help keep you pain free!
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Excess weight puts extra work on your spine. Keep yourself at a healthy weight so your spine doesn’t have to work harder than it should!
Learn more about how regular chiropractic adjustments can help keep your spine healthy. Schedule an appointment with one of our chiropractors today to get the care you need.